Support for Visitors

Needing support?

Here’s a list of support agencies that you could make use of:

The Croft Support

Speak to someone – If you are stressed or unsure about visiting prison arrange to speak to one of our friendly staff.

Download Information Pack – This contains specialist information for visitors. If you need this pack translated into a different language contact us here.

The Croft works closely with other organisations who can support you either in your local community or in some cases at home. We also work with organisations who can help the person you’re visiting both whilst they’re in prison and when they’re released.

If you’d like more information about any of the organisations listed below – please get in touch.

Getting to the Prison and into a Visit

Travel Expenses (See FAQs Section)

Photographic ID (See FAQs Section)

Family Support

Families Outside The National Charity for Families Affected by Imprisonment in Scotland – Freephone Helpline 0800 254 0088

Family Contact Team (See FAQs Section)

Home Start Glasgow

GAMH Young Carers

Money and Benefits

Citizens’ Advice Bureau, Parkhead

West GAP

Mental Health

Mental Health Advocacy

Housing and Homelessness

Simon Community Scotland

Prison Facilities and Information for Prisoners

Prison Education – people in prison can access courses in the Prison Link Centre.

Several organisations have information for people in prison and people with convictions:

Inside Time The National Newspaper for people in prison and detention

The Hardman Directory   A free online directory of funding for people in prison and people with convictions for personal development and resettlement – there may be a copy in the prison library

Unlock A charity for people with convictions, they have information, a helpline and an online magazine and forum.


Throughcare for Prisoners

Throughcare Support Officers – these are prison officers who work with men being released to Glasgow postcodes and who do not have addiction issues. They usually start working with the person 6 weeks before their release date.

The Wise Group


Positive Prison

Simon Community Scotland